this page is a sandbox where i randomly copy paste interesting things in
- Nina Katchadourian
- Home, house mould
YES, GMOHTROOPER CAN HAS WIKI
Jean-Paul Sartre is sitting at a French cafe, revising his draft of Being and Nothingness. He says to the waitress, "I'd like a cup of coffee, please, with no cream." The waitress replies, "I'm sorry, monsieur, but we're out of cream. How about with no milk?".
what is the relationship between democracy and a strong national cuisine?
- http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ - look at british national archives, canadian, scottish and nara (US)
Werner Herzog's Rogue Film School
From Werner Herzog's rogue film school:
- Related, but more practical subjects, will be the art of lockpicking. Traveling on foot. The exhilaration of being shot at unsuccessfully. The athletic side of filmmaking. The creation of your own shooting permits. The neutralization of bureaucracy. Guerrilla tactics. Self reliance.
- Censorship will be enforced. There will be no talk of shamans, of yoga classes, nutritional values, herbal teas, discovering your Boundaries, and Inner Growth.
- CHILDLAND -- http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26164/26164-h/26164-h.htm
- miraculating machine
how to be even better
- You have to be open to constructive criticism (very important).
- You have to visit exhibitions extensively.
- You have to develop a critical awareness, and get to understand why some pieces work, and some just don't.
- To develop consistently, you have be be restless. Don't stand still. Constantly bring in new ideas, influences and imagery.
- Be experimental. See the work as one stage, and NOT the final 'product'. Keep it fresh!
- Definitely consider further study if you do not have a BA in Fine Art, or even an MA. An MA is often VITAL to your development and the development of your critical faculties - do not try to miss out on vital stages of your education.
- Try to absorb influences, so that you do not copy, but you integrate these influences into your practice.
- Always BE OPEN, rather than closed.
- LET GO! Don't be scared to take risks, but make sure that what you do is not arbitrary but deeply considered. It all has to be underpinned by context and method.
- Remember that great art is also an intellectual project.
- Know where you fit in: what is your context?
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE TABLE THAT IS NEW? HOW IS YOUR WORK DIFFERENT?
- Why is your work contemporary? Why is the aesthetic contemporary?
- Ask yourself honestly: does your work get independently curated into exhibitions, or is it always through friends and contacts? Is your old work accumulating in your home or studio? If so, why? Is it because it is 'difficult' or is it just because it's really not that great and nobody will every really notice it.
chain of interesting words
aesthetics, alexis de tocqueville, alfred hitchcock, baruch spinoza, bela tarr, billy wilder, british invasion, critical theory, david hume, david lynch, elephant 6, elitism, foreign policy, g.w.f. hegel, george romero, german idealism, hannah arendt, hans-georg gadamer, ingmar bergman, intellectual conservatism, jean-luc godard, jim jarmusch, john cassavetes, krautrock, leo strauss, luis bunuel, marcel proust, martin heidegger, maurice merleau-ponty, michael oakeshott, modernism, neologisms, nick cave, outkast, phenomenology, roman polanski, schadenfreude, social and political philosophy, stanley kubrick, tropicalia, werner herzog
"When one has no particular aptitude for anything, one takes to the pen and poses as a talented person" (Balzac).
CONSUME / CONNECT / CREATE
счаз шаз деббиеa
Rich Media Infused Ubiquitous Systems Out of browser experience
- http://www.povray.org/ - downoad and learn
- http://www.graniph.com/award09/regulation/en.html - make a design for graniph
SEKRET PASSWURD IN FLASH?
“We started picking them before they could ripen. A certain crucial growing period was lost, as marketing evolved and the mechanisms of recommodification became quicker, more rapacious. Authentic subcultures required backwaters, and time, and there are no more backwaters…” [William Gibson, All Tomorrow's Parties]
- breadcrumb system nav
- mr string flashhh
- http://mediaplayer.yahoo.com/ media player from yahoo lets you embed stuff
- Hide money: Grab a few pennies, and stuff them in places only little kids look.
fonts and such
- EYEBALL COSTUME
- NICE CHINESE CHARACTER FORMAT
- You are not unique. But you are alone.
- NUS LINC