Pulau Geylang

From Wikicliki
Jump to: navigation, search

There was once an "island" in the middle of Kalang Basin called "Pulau Geylang"? In his speech at the opening of the Kallang Airport on 12 June 1937, Director of Public Works, Major R.L. Nunn, revealed that the "island" was found to be composed almost entirely of sawdust, possibly waste material from the many sawmills dotting the length of the river, and was consequently removed and the area reclaimed to construct the Kallang Airport. (1954 Map of Singapore City)

From http://a2o.nas.sg/a2o/public/html/etc/08_maps.htm