never underestimate stock photography and its usefulness!
Images that iStock does need:
- Corporate shots: Illustrate the many sides of modern business.
- Concepts and Visual Metaphors: Go beyond the literal, and help a designer explain something in a new way.
- Food and Beverages: Cuisines from around the globe.
- Groups & Teams: People working together.
- Holiday & Seasonal Themes: Show all the ways we celebrate. Include more than religious celebrations; let's see local festivals and customs as well.
- Non-Business Jobs: The word is filled with mechanics, garbage men, baristas, and more.
- People Interacting: Human interaction is a constant in this world.
- Religion and Spirituality: The rich tapestry of the world's beliefs.
- Science and Technology: Accurate and true depictions of the cutting edge of human knowledge.
- Social Issues: Poignant looks into the issues that impact us.
- Sports: For fun, for fitness, for glory. We'd love to see more team sports.
Images that iStock does not need:
- 3D – Simple Renders: Go beyond the easy and obvious presets.
- 3D – Extruded Text: Simple 3D text is not enough.
- 3D – Simplistic Modeling: Spend more time with your polygons.
- Airplane Wings (& out the window shots): Wait until you land to shoot the vacation shots.
- Flags: 3D or real, give us something more than the basic flags.
- Light Blurs: Fun for photo clubs, but rarely is it good stock.
- Nature Snap Shots: Sweeping vistas and insect macros are great – yet another forest floor is not.
- Photoshop Backgrounds, Fractals: We've all had fun with filters. Designers are looking for images that they can't quickly make themselves with a few button pushes.
- People Doing Nothing: Get your models doing something!
- Shadows of People, Headless People: Photograph people or do not. There is no try.
- Single Apples (or Green Peppers or Oranges) Isolated on White: The day of the single fruit isolated on white has passed.
- Sunsets, Cloudscapes, Skies: Be sure the sky really is stunning before uploading.
- Symbols: !$%@ – Whether rendered or photographed, typographic symbols are less interesting than you think.
- Your Immediate Environment: There's life beyond your front door!