WWII NMS-AWM Residency 2017
A Day by Day account of what I learnt and explored
24 April Mon
- Australian customs very friendly. Seemed more concerned about searching to find plant matter. Cockatoos and kookaburras aplenty.
25 April Tues ANZAC DAY
- Dawn Service
- Aboriginal & Torres Straits Islanders Service at Aboriginal Plaque
26 April Wed
- Tour of the Hall of Memory with Margaret (Maggie). She's 91, we talked about family history and how she traced her father's side down 8 generations, and her mother's side up to the 11th century. I can't even understand what my grandmother is doing.
- Emily's talk on portraits made during WWI - the difference between character studies (names not included in original title as portrait was to reflect a generic 'type' of everyday soldier) vs named portraits.
- Discovery of NITV - channel dedicated to stories about indigenous people, by indigenous people. Every program warned that images of dead people might be shown. Read up on Aboriginal avoidance practice and cultural practices
- Inclusion of the indigenous people is actually a recent development
- Found out that Australia participates in Eurovision
- Watched The First Australians Fight Back - John Pilger (BBC 1985)