Meshmixer Experiment

Meshmixer Experiment

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 5.11.11 pm

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 5.55.35 pm

Began with a simple head model on thingiverse and then experimented with Meshmixer’s primitive sculpy tools for one pomodoro. This is basically like the iPad application – fun for a while but wildly inaccurate. The white line in the first image is the line of symmetry when “drawing”; your “drawing” will be mirrored on both sides. I found that it was better to add bits and small lumps one at a time (a bit like how one would model in wax with small fingertip-sized lumps to be slowly worked in) and finally just using BubbleSmooth to go over the lumpy bits.

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 6.12.38 pm

Sent it to print at a speed of 80mm/s. On hindsight this was too fast. Would set the print speed lower to around 40mm/s or 50mm/s for a small print like this in future…


Support structure didn’t stick well to build plate. Nevertheless I didn’t cancel print since I realised it would probably still complete the print. Do note a bit of “elephant’s foot” on the first layer as well.

20141109_195739_W Bank

20141109_200454_W Bank

Completed Georgehead. Overhang was quite messy due to part of support structure detaching from build plate quite early on in the print. Nevertheless I think it benefitted from the support structure. Might use a different slicer next time around to see if the support structure is done better for the same model.

20141109_201515_W Bank

For comparison with the real Georgehead…

See also:
Georgehead on Thingiverse
My previous attempt at making a Georgehead in modelling wax at a Facial Reconstruction Class